I get messages every day asking for slow cooker recipes……..I’ve always been a little bit reluctant to post any, as not everybody has one…….As you can see I’ve changed my mind!
Using a slow cooker is one of the savviest ways to cook. It means you can buy cheaper (and tougher) cuts of meat and use fewer ingredients…..whilst still getting incredible flavours! My slow cooker is tucked away in the cupboard, rather than out on the worktop, so I often forget that I’ve got one. Writing this recipe has been a great reminder to me of the joys of the slow cook!
If you’re a busy family, this bit of kit is a must! My Mum and Dad bought me my Morphy Richards slow cooker. They wanted to get me one that you can use to sear the meat on the hob, as it saves on dishes! (they know me so well!) Mine is a 3.5L, so big enough to fit a large chicken in it……..If you want to have a look, it’s currently only £20 on Amazon – rather than £34.99. Morphy Richards Accents 48703 Sear and Stew Slow Cooker, 3.5 L – Black
I’ve been really excited about putting this recipe up! I tried to do it a couple of weeks ago. I had it all planned. Then I came home to discover that someone (it wasn’t me) had unplugged the slow cooker before we went out. (……..It might have been me)
The flavour is incredible, and hands on time is minimal. You can add whatever veg you like but the baby corn works really well.
If you’ve not ordered your copy of “The Savvy Shopper’s Cookbook”….what are you waiting for?! It’s only £4.99 on Amazon at the moment and is full of quick, simple, delicious recipes……AND all of the ingredients are from Aldi and Lidl!! The Savvy Shopper’s Cookbook
Feeds 4 people (with leftovers)
- 700g Beef chunks (larger pieces cut in half)
- 1 Onion
- 2 tbls flour + extra to sprinkle on the beef
- 400g tin of coconut milk
- 1 beef stock cube mixed with 250ml boiling water
- 3 heaped tsp of medium curry powder
- 135g Baby corn (cut in half lengthways)
- 155g Mange tout
- Olive oil for frying
- Salt & Pepper
- Peel the onion, cut it in half and cut each half width ways into thin slithers. Place the onion into a pan, (or the inner section of your slow cooker if you can use it on a hob) drizzle with olive oil and fry on a medium heat for 5 minutes until soft.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto the beef chunks and use your hands to to move them around so that each piece has a light dusting. Add the beef to the pan and fry for another 5 minutes, until the beef is browned.
- Add 2 tbls of flour, curry powder and seasoning to the pan, stir and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add half of the beef stock to the pan. Stir continuously until it starts to boil in the, before adding the remaining stock and repeating.
- Take the curry off the heat and add the coconut milk. Stir until the coconut milk melts into the curry and it’s all the same colour.
- Place the curry into the slow cooker and cook on a medium heat for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours give the curry a good stir and add to it the packet of mange tout and baby corn halves. Cook for a further 1.5 – 2 hours until the veg is cooked but still has a bit of crunch.
- Leave to rest for a few minutes before serving with rice.